The Biggest Losers’ popular fitness and weight loss trainer Jillian Michaels introduces three steps that will revitalize your metabolism in her Master Your Metabolism diet book. If you’ve watched The Biggest Loser and you have seen Michaels approach to fitness then you know it is super tough, which may cause you to stray away from this diet book; however, her approach is completely different as it is more of a focus on the dieting and eating aspects of weight loss with a little bit directed toward the significance of exercise.
In this book, Jillian Michaels explains her theory on how hormones – such as estrogen, insulin and cortisol – fight to maintain a proper level of health in your body. When they are out of balance, our body isn’t nearly as healthy. She explains that prescription medicines, toxins found in the food we eat as well as the environment all affect the balance of our hormones. By avoiding all these toxins, Michaels strongly believes that you can lose weight while reducing your overall risk for cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
Michaels diet book focuses of three steps that she is positive will get your metabolism revved up and going after being down for so long thanks to those nasty eating habits that were doing more harm than you thought.
The Three R’s
She focuses on three R’s: Remove, Restore and then Rebalance.
- Remove: The first phase consists of removing all anti-nutrients from your current diet such as food additives/ingredients including but not limited to trans fats, refined grains, chemicals, artificial sweeteners and high-fructose corn syrup.
- Restore: The second phase consists of bringing foods back into your diet that will get your fat burning hormones going again by acting as fuel including but not limited to fruits and veggies that are considered low glycemic, omega 3 fatty acids foods and organic lean proteins.
- Rebalance: The final phase gets your energy and hormones back to top-notch level by outlining a plan of how much, what and how often you should eat including regular exercise and an adequate amount of sleep.
10 Groups of Foods Emphasized by Michaels
2. Alliums – such as onions.
4. Eggs and Meat
5. Colorful fruits and veggies
6. Dark green and leafy veggies
7. Cruciferous veggies – such as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.
8. Seeds and Nuts
9. Organic, low-fat dairy products
10. Whole Grains
Pros of Master Your Metabolism
Cons of Master Your Metabolism
- Organic products may be hard to obtain for some while also being too expensive for many dieters.
- Some complain that too much science is included throughout the book making it hard to read for the average person or inexperienced dieter.
- There are some experts that disagree with Michaels on the fact that toxins contribute to weight gain.