Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, an acclaimed science journalist who deals with a new or rediscovered way of dieting. The book discusses eating the right kind of food rather then eating less of it. Taubes argues that a diet rich in carbohydrates is the reason why people are getting fatter. When the body takes in carbohydrates, the body has a reaction that turns calories into fats thereby increasing the body weight. This is the stand that Taubes takes in his book and this is what he believes in.
The book widely covers the topic of what kinds of calories are good for the body. It also talks about having an all-meat diet that contains a lot of proteins which can definitely help in keeping the body healthy and preventing diseases. The book revolves around the fact that a person should refrain from eating food with high carbohydrates content because of the ill effects that it can give. The following are some of those ill effects.
Bad Effects of Eating Food with High Carbohydrates
1. Getting Fat. When the body takes in food with high carbohydrates, it secretes a hormone called insulin which signals the body to drive fat accumulation. This means that if a person eats a lot of food with high carbohydrates, he will get fatter. So no amount of exercise can ever offset a diet with lots of carbohydrates.
2. Health Concerns. Carbohydrates have been known to cause health ailments such as obesity and serious heart conditions. This is very bad for the body and can lead to all kinds of bad things that you wouldn’t want. We eat food to have energy and be healthy, not to have very bad health and die later on.
These are the bad effects of certain food that contain a lot of carbohydrates. Taubes states that if we want to fight these risks, we should discipline ourselves to stay away from these types of foods and change our diet to a high protein one.
There are many types of food that are very rich in protein which is recommended for the type of diet being discussed in the book namely; Fish, Beef, Chicken, Lobster, Crab, Turkey, Lamb, Pork, Watermelon Seeds, Beans, Cheese, Nuts, Tofu, Eggs, Milk
Pros and Cons of this New Diet
- Maintaining very good health through the use of the all-protein type diet
- Cutting down body weight through the anti-carbohydrate approach to eating
- Staying away from delicious sweets such as ice cream and chocolates that cause fat build-up inside the body
Reading this book will give you a new approach to cutting down on body weight and maintaining good health. The method being discussed in the book is highly unconventional but it can work given that you follow the guidelines of the book. It may be worth picking up and reading in your spare time.
No related posts.